Thursday, March 09, 2006

What's There To Say?

Sometimes, when one has too many things to say, keeping silent is so much easier.

I will say something about freedom of speech though. Aside from the check and balance that is provided by defamation/libel and obscenity laws, I think that freedom of speech should not be legally subject to other considerations, particularly those of people's feelings.

We all know what finicky felines feelings are. (if you get nothing else out of this post, there's at least this nifty tongue twister)

What should make all the difference, in Man's pursuit of greater civilisation, is having the restraint to decline exercising such freedom, under certain circumstances.

Not because one is, or ought to be, responsible.

But simply, because one is civilised.

---

And, as for the 30 sen increase in petrol prices... well. Surely nobody disputes that an increase was inevitable. And necessary. It has to hurt in order for people to start making significant changes to their financial planning.

What's really just a roll of baloney the length of the Sepang race track, is the Government's assurance that the savings it's gained from reduced subsidies will be put towards improving public transportation.

What makes me want to laugh and point and then stab politicians in their nuts with a cactus is the photo, in yesterday's papers, of the Housing & Local Govt Minister riding the ERL and LRT (two trains! Spunky!) to attend a meeting in the city.

What I wonder, is how many people had to give up their privilige to make like sardines in a two-carriage train (the LRT, not the ERL. I quite like the ERL) just so that the "VIP Commuter" and his entourage could have a go at pretending to commute to work.

Speaking of ...errr...things that make me want to do violence... apparently, the Government's comprehensive response plan to deal with bird flu should it become an epidemic here, includes asking other countries how they deal with it. I'd quote verbatim, but the report was published several days or even weeks ago and I was too busy hmmph-ing at everything else in the papers that I forgot to keep it.

If I were an omnipotent being, I'd stick petrol nozzles up the butts of 90% of politicians and let them have their fill of it.

Let's see them use petrol wisely after that.

UPDATE - Last Friday there was a huge, traffic blocking protest march outside KLCC. It was about the price hike, but the guy who helpfully flashed his placard at the windshield appeared to be more concerned about people insulting his prophet.

It's amazing how people in this country never learn that street protests don't achieve anything, other than make other people wonder how they got out of being at work after 2pm.

Anyway. I hear that it's happening again today. Those of you stuck in the city, good luck. With the amount of petrol going to waste as your car crawls along the major roads, you might as well get out and join in.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Har har.. a nozzle up their behinds... I agree abt the train... as if I could take the train to Sri Hartamas or even to BU??? Duh!! Even taking it to Mid Valley is ridiculous since you gotta take a komuter also. Cis! And what is worse.. if at night.. how to walk back in the dark dark lanes from the train station...
Tak ada otak!

Anonymous said...

Ya man, no cow sense! I personally "savour" (eew!) the squashed sardin-ess of the LRT each and every morning to work. Then have you tried it in carriages without air-con?

Yes, quite often, the carriages have no air-con, or merely blasts out warm air...imagine all the sweaty bodies squashed together (mine including-surely you remember how MUCH I can sweat?)

Now, are they going to use that so-called "savings" to maintain the trains first, put aside "improve" the whole of the public transportation

Anonymous said...

hahahaha! you hamsap - nozzles up the butts and filling it. what, the lubricant helps with the potty and ermmm...*slaps own hand from typing*

you make it sound like it's dreadful to go home... i think i'm gonna stay an alien lah :P

Anonymous said...

when i open the newspapers, it's mainly to read comics or do cryptic crosswords.

the rest just makes my brain go numb.

Anonymous said...

Heh! Newspapers are like "lie-rags"

I just love all the silly pointless stories on how some underpaid dimwit saves money. Have you noticed that there is atleast one of those stories everyday?

It is horrible when the government controls all the newspapers...

Anonymous said...

Ame - Probably has a lot to do with demographic profiles. :)

LFS - Welcome :) I used to semi-regularly take a shorter ride than you (phew!) to reach Wisma Denmark before 9am. Most of the time, I'd be squashed against the door or under someone's armpit. Bleh. Wish they'd at least increase the number of carriages from just bloody TWO.

Lotsachi - ??? Warped, much? Ummm. No. Certainly not my state of mind.
And no lah, i wouldn't say dreadful. Pissy, maybe.

Hedo - I suck at crosswords. The highlight of the Star for me is Bizarro and Calvin & Hobbes. Pickles too.

AJ - Tell me about it, chickadee. "I will personally ask the HODs to explain if I see the lights on at night".

Anonymous said...

The politicians always criticise malaysians for their tidak-apa attitude.

You can bet they're wishing for a bit more of that attitude from us now!

I too have learned long ago (never to walk in anyone's shadow--dammit! I can't help it) that sometimes keeping quiet when you just wanna blast off some sarcastic remark is the wisest solution. Until there's a way to erase people's memories like that gadget in Men In Black.

Anonymous said...

another one today? crap. is there any way you can ... dammit. was going to say 'get out of work early', but it's already 5.55... guess you could stay late? poor baby.

Anonymous said...

Gah! What was with the freedom of speech thingie?!

Paul

Anonymous said...

I just don't understand the reason why our government spend million$ on building the tracks and stations for the LRT and use 2 carriage trains! Can't they be a little sensible and build capacity for the future? I avoid at all cost to take the LRT when I am in KL especially being sandwiched between sweaty males. Ergh!! Singapore MRT is something our government should well copy if they want us to use the public transport.

Anonymous said...

You're right,spot. Shhh...
CM: because singapore has it, we want it too mah. But they don't realize they don't have even half of the brains and plans required to do something more than just building it :) welcome to malaysia...truly asia..

Anonymous said...

Too many things that concern about the freedom of speech (or lack of) that I think it's hard for you to list them all ... first the cartoons, Marina's article, etc.

Having been on our southern neighbour's MRT, who wants to ride on our LRTs with warm air-cond or worse, none at all? And two cars only?

Where does the govt even start with improving? Buses? LRT? Feeder buses?

Anonymous said...

Public transport? The bus stop in front of my apartment has neither shelter nor layby for the bus to pull in. Which is what most bus stops in this country are like. Of course this is a thousand times better than where I used to stay where the nearest bus stop is not even in the same taman.

Honestly, it'd be nice if they really improve public transport. But waitaminute, that'll adversely affect the National Carmaker's sales wouldn't it? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Did you read about Ong Ka Ting taking an LRT to a meeting in town?

Gosh. I wonder if his bodyguards had to elbow everyone else so they don't crumple his suit. And by the looks of the picture, it's not peak hour. So HE doesn't have to deal with BO and sweaty people. Eeek.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I get to work from home. I don't have to get stuck under some smelly armpit to get to work.*puke face* Or get caught in the jams. Life is good....sometimes! (Only sometimes as freelancing pays crap!)

Anonymous said...

I hear that in Singapore you actually need a permit in order to have a strike or stage a protest. Now THAT is wrong.

Why don't you buy a basikal, Spot?

Anonymous said...

Will - You know, I believe the children are our future, so we should teach them well and let them lead the way with the tidak apa attitude. Sorry, I also cannot help it.

Paul - shhhhhhhhhh.....

CM - I think the first question to ask is why is Malaysia the only country to privatise the construction of public works.

geekchic - kakaka...truly asia. Been watching a bit too much astro eh? Bleh. I doubt there's even enough brains to contemplate building roads that don't need patching ever so often.

derek - The denmark cartoon thing: lack of restraint, all round.

The Marina thing - overcaution on the Star's part. Not quite a freedom of speech issue though. Newspapers have every right to edit, even if it makes them look silly. Like very shiok.

As for improving...I decided long ago (other than to walk in Willa's shadow) that it's going to need a fundamental change of mindset ove at least another 3 generations.

weeshiong - I don't think there's even a bus-stop where I live now!! MPPJ probably assumes ordinary joes don't live in my taman.

wandernut - Dialah Minister for Housing & Local Govt. It doesnt look like rush hour probably because lots of people kena elbowed before the shot was taken.

boobjuicer - Stop! I jeles. :) Nevermind, your freelance income should be greatly supplemented when snowie pays you fees to babysit me.

jay - Actually, a permit is required here too. Guess they didn't care.

By the time I finish basikaling to and from work for even just one day, I'd be, quite literally, a spot.